This is one of my favorite Autumn desserts. The apples are especially perfect in fall season. The leftovers make an even better breakfast! Simple, delicious and did I mention gluten free? The topping is a crispy and sweet, that pairs exceptionally well with the apples. I love using Empire or Fiji apples as they are crisp, juicy and have the best crunch. It is best served with some vanilla ice cream.
- 10 local apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour gluten free flour
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup butter - room temperature and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut apples into thin slices and add to a medium sized bowl.
- Combine coconut sugar and flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, lemon juice mix together. Add to sliced apples.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place apple mixture in baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, prepare your topping. Mix together rolled oats, flour, baking soda, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and butter mixture.
- Add crumble on top of the apples and put into the oven covered with tin foil. Add small holes for steam. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove tin foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until topping is lightly golden brown. Careful not to burn.
- Serve in bowls while still warm. Top with your favorite vanilla ice cream on top. Enjoy!
*Option to use Vegan Butter