Looking for new healthy dinner recipes? It can be hard to find inspiring dishes that are actually good for you. Good news! These absolutely delicious Turkey and Wild Stuffed Peppers are bursting with flavor and are totally filling. By using lean ground Turkey and wild rice, makes this easier for digestion, hello gluten free. You can also swap out the Turkey for tofu to make this truly a vegetarian delight!
- 1 pound extra lean ground Turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 6 orange or yellow peppers
- 6 cremini mushrooms diced
- 1 cup wild rice cooked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan freshly grated
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare rice according to cooking directions.
- Cut peppers in half and remove cores. Place peppers in large baking dish with skin side up and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- While peppers are in oven, place olive oil, onions, garlic in a pan until soft. About 5 mins. Add in tomato paste and cook for one more minute until fragrant.
- Add in ground turkey. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add in mushrooms & tomato sauce. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add one cup of wild rice to meat mixture.
- In a 9x 13 baking dish, place peppers skin side down, and add meat & rice mixture to peppers. Optional to add Parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- Cover peppers with foil. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden in color.
- Add fresh parsley for garnish.