Roasted Heirloom Carrots with Garlic Hummus
Course Side Dish
PREP TIME 25 mins
COOK TIME 45 mins
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 10 mins
This dish is sure winner in my books. Beautifully Roasted Heirloom Carrots with Garlic Hummus topped with crispy chickpeas & pistachios and drizzled za’atar oil. I have never seen such an incredible marriage of ingredients together. This is such a perfect side dish to any meal. Did I mention that this recipe is completely vegan and gluten free? I think I can get behind that. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 bunches of small heirloom carrots washed and trimmed, cut lengthways
- ½ cup pistachios roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp of red chili flakes
- Optional: 1 tbsp chopped parsley for presentation
- 1 can chickpeas *Save about ½ cup of chickpeas and set aside. washed and rinsed, soaked in cold water for few hours before and skins removed. This makes it easier for digestion.
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ cup EVOO olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 tsp of salt
- In a medium saucepan, cook chickpeas in ½ cup of water over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. Chickpeas will become less hard and mushy.
- Remove from heat. Add in all remaining ingredients to a food processor and mix well.
- If too thick, add in little bits of water. Taste and adjust flavour with more salt.
- Put in fridge to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place washed and trimmed carrots on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Place carrots in oven for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- On separate baking sheet, add ½ cup chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Place in top rack of oven for 20-25 minutes or until chickpeas are crunchy.
- Remove carrots from oven. Arrange hummus on plate. Place carrots on top of hummus.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios & crispy chickpeas.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp olive oil, za’atar spice, salt, pepper, red chili flakes in a bowl. Drizzle over the carrots and hummus. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top. Viola, eat and enjoy!